Home Page

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Onion and Wild Garlic Quiche with Parmesan in a Couscous Crust


Before I proceed with the description of this recipe, let me apologize for the uninspiring recipe name. Whenever I come up with my own creations, I seem to hit a road block when it comes to naming them. I usually end up with something that looks more like an ingredient list. In fact, I am lucky I didn't settle on "Quiche in a Couscous Crust with 2 cups Onion, 25 bulbs Wild Garlic, 3/4 cups milk, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan..."

I came up with the idea for this recipe because I was racking my brain trying to come up with a way to use up the 2 cups of leftover couscous that I had in the fridge. Efficient use of leftovers is NOT one of my strong points. That is why the food event "Leftover Tuesdays" hosted by Pam at Project Foodie, is going to be a good thing for me. If you ever see a tupperware container in my fridge, immediately SHUT the door and slowly BACK AWAY... then run for your life!

I am sure that people are wondering what happens to all of the food that this blog generates, especially since every post seems to end with "my kids wouldn't eat this". Unfortunately I just don't like eating leftovers re-heated in the microwave. Once I've tried a new meal, I want to move on to a new and exciting recipe. But if you can take your leftovers and turn them into an entirely new dish? Now you're talking!

Only, I had half this Quiche leftover... my kids wouldn't eat it. sigh.


Onion and Wild Garlic Quiche with Parmesan in a Couscous Crust

2 cups leftover Couscous
1 tbsp butter
2 cups thinly sliced onion
25 bulbs wild garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup Mozzarella
1/2 cup Parmesan
4 slices tomato
salt and pepper

1. Mix 1 tbsp butter with leftover Couscous (note: the couscous I used was originally cooked in vegetable broth with white wine and lemon juice with chives).

2. Dump the couscous into an 8" pie plate. Press it down and up the sides of the dish.

3. Saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil (note: if you are substituting regular garlic, DO NOT use 25 cloves. Wild Garlic is much milder. I would suggest maybe 2 cloves, and I would mince them).

4. Spoon onions and garlic into the couscous crust.

5. Mix together the milk, eggs, Dijon, 1/4 of the Parsmesan, and salt and pepper. Pour over the pie.

6. Top with tomato slices, then remaining Parmesan, Mozzarella and cilantro. Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes, or until set and the edges have started to brown. Serve small wedges as a side dish, or with a salad for lunch.