Home Page

Monday, September 24, 2007

Fresno Pudding


I was flipping through my recipe file at home on the weekend looking for an old favorite that I could make. This is not my "to try" file, this is the file that contains all my tried and true family favorites. A recipe has to be REALLY good to find its way into my recipe file. I discovered that there aren't too many of them left that I haven't already made and posted about.

Then I saw my recipe for Fresno Pudding. I was a little startled to realize that I haven't posted this yet. This is a recipe that I got from my Mom. My entire family loves this. The cake bakes in the sauce and it comes out juicy and delicious. It is tasty enough to serve for guests, but simple enough that you will always have the ingredients on hand.


Fresno Pudding

1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup milk
2 cups water
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp butter

1. Mix flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt and raisins.

2. Stir in 1/2 cup milk, just until batter is moistened. Spread batter in a greased 9" x 9" square baking dish.

3. In microwave, heat 2 cups water, 1 cup brown sugar and 2 tbsp butter. Stir and pour gently over batter.

4. Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes. When it comes out of the oven, the cake is floating on the sauce. Cut and serve the cake then spoon some sauce over top. Serve warm.