Home Page

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pork Chop and Rice Bake


I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, nothing quite beats a nice simple one-dish meal. Put it in the oven and forget about it!

I threw together a salad for the side and voila! Somehow serving a portion of green vegetables to my children each night (even when they don't eat them) makes me feel like I've done my job. So to go with this I made a Mexican Chopped Salad. I know there is nothing Mexican about this meal, but it's a favorite salad of mine, and I happened to have the some leftover tortilla chips in the cupboard - you know when they get too small and broken to dip into salsa? That is when they are perfect for this salad.

You can also make this casserole with chicken pieces, although I find if you use chicken with the skin, the entire dish gets a little greasy (but still good) and if you use chicken breasts, they dry out. I think the pork works better.


Pork Chop and Rice Bake

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup long grain rice
2 tsp fresh thyme
4 pork chops
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced onions
salt and pepper

1. Season the pork chops. Brown them in a small amount of olive oil for just a few minutes per side.

2. In a covered casserole dish, mix together the soup, water, rice, and thyme. Place the onions and mushrooms on top. (you can mix those in, but I have to pick out the onions for Claire and the mushrooms for Marco - so layering makes this easier).

3. Place browned pork chops on top. Cover and bake for about 1 hour at 350F(or until liquid is absorbed by rice). Let stand a few minutes before serving.