Home Page

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Spaghetti Squash Fritters


I made this recipe the other night when I was scrambling for a side dish to go alongside some stuffed pork tenderloin that I made. I was a little low on veggies in the house, but I happened to have half of a spaghetti squash on the verge of becoming blue and fuzzy . I had the idea of making spaghetti squash fritters. I used almost the exact same recipe that I nornally use to make Potato Pancakes. The differences were that I cooked the spaghetti squash first, and I added more flour and omitted the sour cream because the mixture already seemed wet enough.

These fritters were very nice tasting. The consistency was a little soft and they didn't get as crispy as I had hoped, but the kids ate them, and I think it was the first time I've been able to get them to eat any sort of squash (except for when I make cream of pumpkin soup in the fall).


Spaghetti Squash Fritters
makes about 8 fritters

1/2 spaghetti squash
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper
small amount of oil for frying (I used cooking spray)

1. Cook spaghetti squash by placing cut side down on a baking sheet at 375F for 45 minutes.

2. Remove the flesh from the spaghetti squash by raking across the sqash sideways with a fork.

3. Mix the squash with one beaten egg, flour and salt and pepper.

4. Drop by about 1/4 cup spoonfuls onto a hot frying pan. Flatten slightly with a spatula and fry on each side until golden brown.